LOW-FAT SPINACH LASAGNA
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 large egg or equivalent egg substitute
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar spaghetti/marinara sauce (tomato sauce)
- 10 ounces Fresh Express Baby Spinach
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp oregano, ground
- In a large bowl mix thawed and drained spinach, cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, egg and seasonings.
- Spray cooking spray on a lasagna tray or 13x9x2 baking dish. Layer 1/2 cup sauce, 3 noodles and 1/2 cheese mixture. Repeat layer.
- Top with remaining noodles then sauce and sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella.
- You can also sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top. Pour water around the edges and put a few toothpicks on top. This will prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350* for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until lasagna is bubbly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: You can also substitute chopped broccoli for the spinach.
- 1-2 T Olive Oil
- 1 large or two small onions, diced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 t salt
- 1 t fresh ground black pepper
- 1 T fresh or 1 t dried sage
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t ground cloves
- 3 C canned pumpkin puree (one 28 oz can)
- 1 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1 1/2 C grated Parmesan
- 1/2 C milk
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1-2 T butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large pan, heat the oil and cook the onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat and add the chard, 1 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 1/2 the sage, 1/4 t nutmeg and a pinch of the clove. Cook, stirring constantly, until the chard is wilted and no liquid remains, 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 C pumpkin, 3/4 C cream, 1/2 C Parmesan, and the remainder of the salt, pepper, sage, nutmeg and cloves.
- Pour the milk into an 8 x 12″ baking dish. Lay down first layer of noodles (I used 4 per layer, slightly overlapping them) then top with half the pumpkin mixture. Spread a second layer of noodles. Repeat with the remainder of the pumpkin and noodles.
- For the top layer, combine remaining 1 C of pumpkin with 3/4 C of cream. Spread evenly over the top, sprinkle with remaining 1 C of Parmesan, and dot with butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and return to oven, baking until golden, about 15 minutes more.