I don’t believe in lies or fallacies either. So when I heard this story, I couldn’t believe it myself until I actually did my research and found out the truth for myself. The decision makers at Ford take the safety of their customers quit seriously. They put their cars to the real test and prove that they are very safe in any condition. They literally freeze them, shake them and roast them.
Ford vehicles go through more than 30 tests to ensure they live up to the toughest quality standards. Durability tests include extreme temperatures, rivers of mud, the world’s worst potholes and deep-water wading to ensure ultimate resilience. Ford vehicles are sent to exotic destinations around the world to be tested in all kinds of terrain and climatic situations
When Ford drivers need to hit the world’s highest roads, wade through mud baths or endure frigid -40 degree Celsius weather, they can rest assured that their vehicles are able to withstand the journey.
Durability testing is the process every Ford vehicle goes through to ensure it’s able to endure the world’s toughest driving conditions. Whether that’s the arid deserts of the Australian Outback or the sub-zero temperatures of northern China, vehicles are engineered to tackle various conditions without breaking a sweat. Running vehicles through this gauntlet of tests ensures they are well prepared to take on the kinds of conditions drivers might encounter across the world on the open road.
At Ford, durability testing is a full on, pedal-to-the-metal process. The vehicles are relentlessly subjected to test after test, each of which challenges a different aspect of the vehicle, from its ability to perform in extremely high altitudes with very low oxygen levels to the number of times a door can be slammed before showing signs of wear and tear.
Vehicles are even driven on unimproved rocky roads to see how their paint stands up to gravel kicked up by the wheels. To test a vehicle’s ability to withstand rust, each Ford model spends three months in a corrosion chamber while being sprayed with salt water in conditions of up to 95 percent humidity, which simulates 10 years of wear and tear on the road.
For Ford drivers around the world, their vehicles open the door to a world of adventure and the exploration of the open road. Ford is committed to delivering vehicles that not only provide comfort but can tackle the toughest driving conditions in the world. The durability testing process is testament to this commitment that Ford makes to its consumers.
We at Monthly Motor Magazine were able to get the Official Ford Company Durability Test Fact Sheet; and as providers of motoring information, I have to share with our readers the facts to see them for themselves:
- Gravel Roads
- Test driving on gravel roads ensure Ford vehicles do not get abrasions from the pebbles and stones that get kicked up from the ground, and that dust doesn’t get into the vehicle.
- Unimproved Roads
- Ford engineers test cars on unimproved roads to ensure that rough roads and any loose gravel don’t damage the paint on the vehicle.
- Gravel 4×4 Hill (Ascent and Descent)
- Ford vehicles are tested on steep and gravelly hills to ensure you can scale any and all hills you encounter on your next journey.
- Skid Pad
- This test evaluates how well the brakes on a vehicle perform so drivers don’t have to worry about skidding if they have to stop abruptly.
- Vehicle Dynamics Area
- In the off chance you need to make a last-minute turn, Ford ensures that your vehicle always stays firmly planted on the road by testing turning capabilities at speeds of up to 100 kph.
- Figure 8 in Sand
- Vehicles are driven in figure 8s on sand to check their wheels work together to ensure minimum slippage on all surfaces.
- Mud Bath
- Water Bath
- These tests ensure Ford vehicles can drive through anything from a puddle of water to deep mud ravines with as much ease as driving on an ordinary street.
- Constant Speed Track
- Ford vehicles are driven at high speeds for sustained periods of time, to guarantee that drivers can embark on their next long-distance road trip without any worries.
- Uneven Ground
- The frames of Ford vehicles are tested on rough and uneven roads to test their durability and resilience against even the bumpiest of surfaces.
- Curb Impact
- This test evaluates the vehicle’s ability to withstand driving into a curb at speeds of up to 25 kph.
- Braking into a Pothole
- The brakes of a Ford vehicle are tested during sudden drops into potholes. This helps guarantee drivers have a safe and seamless driving experience.
- Environmental Wind Tunnel – Cold (250km wind)
- Environmental Wind Tunnel – Hot (250km wind)
- Ford engineers test vehicles in extreme conditions, with wind speeds of up to 250 kph and temperatures from -40 to +60 degrees Celsius.
- Door Slamming
- The doors of a Ford vehicle are opened and closed nearly 84,000 times to ensure a strong fit and finish for years to come.
- Boot Slamming
- Bonnet Slamming
- The boot and bonnet of Ford vehicles are repeatedly opened and closed, simulating 10 years of vehicle life.
- Corrosion Testing
- Ford engineers test the overall corrosion resistance of vehicles by aging them in a high-humidity chamber where they are sprayed with salt water. This helps improve the anti-corrosion capabilities of every vehicle.
- Emission Tests
- Ford engines are tested to confirm that all emissions are within regulations to ensure a green vehicle.
- Transient Dyno Cell
- Engines are also put through extreme stress situations to boost performance capabilities.
- High-speed Inside Drive with Robot Driver
- With a robot in the driver’s seat, controls such as foot pedals, the gearshift and the ignition, are tested on a full “journey simulation”, to ensure the vehicle’s endurance, durability and performance.
- Squeak and Rattle
- This test shakes the vehicle on elevated pillars, to ensure there are no squeaking or rattling sounds.
- Twist Ditch
- This test twists the vehicle body structure to ensure the suspension is strong and can endure all kinds of twists and turns.
- Extreme Cold
- Hot Sand
- Desert/Extreme Hot
- Rocky/Off Road
- Water Wading
- These tests help guarantee that extreme temperatures, climatic conditions and diverse terrains do not stop a Ford vehicle from performing at its best.
- High Altitude
- We even bring our vehicles to altitudes as high as 5,200 meters to test our engines in lower-oxygen environments.